Milieu Therapy is a treatment in which the planning of events and interactions every day therapeutic designed with the goal of improving social skills and build self-esteem of patients. Meanwhile, according to Wilson (1992) Mileu Therapy is the use of the environment for therapeutic purposes. Every interaction with a patient is considered to provide beneficial results in improving function optimally.
The Purpose of Milieu Therapy, include:
- Improving patient experience positive mental / psychological.
- Assist individuals in improving self-esteem.
- Improving the ability to interact with others.
- Cultivating an attitude trust others.
- Prepare yourself back into society and achieve positive health changes / optimal.
Characteristics of Milieu Therapy
Characteristics of Milieu Therapy include:
- physically and psychologically safe
- ease of access to basic needs
- staff appreciate the client
- accept the client's behavior in response to stress
- respect the rights and opinions of clients
- right to informed choice
- easy supervision 24 hours
- there is a process of information exchange
- there are socialization, group interaction, and therapeutic communication
- share responsibility and client engagement
Milieu Therapy for Low Self-Esteem, Depression and Suicide
The physical environment:
- The room is comfortable and safe.
- Protected from tools that could be used to injure themselves or others.
- Medical devices, pharmaceuticals and medical fluid type, locked closet.
- The room should be placed on the floor of the entire room easily monitored and health workers.
- The room interesting by placing a bright posters and increase the excitement of life of patients, bright wall colors.
- The existence of easy reading, humorous and motivating life.
- Presents cheerful music, TV and movie comedy.
- Cabinets to store personal belongings of patients.
- Therapeutic communication, by all officers greet patients as often as possible.
- Provide an explanation of each will conduct nursing or other medical activities.
- Receiving the patient's presence.
- Do not ridicule, belittle.
- Improving self-esteem of patients
- Help assess and improve social relationships gradually.
- Helping patients to interact with his family.
- Include the family in the plan of nursing
- Do not leave the patient alone for too long.