Hyperthyroidism is a condition in which the thyroid gland makes too much thyroid hormone. The condition is often referred to as an "overactive thyroid."
Causes of Hyperthyroidism
- Hyperthyroidism occurs when the thyroid releases too much of its hormones over a short (acute) or long (chronic) period of time. Many diseases and conditions can cause this problem, including:
- Getting too much iodine
- Graves disease (accounts for most cases of hyperthyroidism)
- Inflammation (thyroiditis) of the thyroid due to viral infections or other causes
- Noncancerous growths of the thyroid gland or pituitary gland
- Some tumors of the testes or ovaries
- Taking large amounts of thyroid hormone
Symptoms of Hyperthyroidism
- Heat intolerance
- Increased bowel movements
- Light or absent menstrual periods
- Fast heart rate
- Trembling hands
- Weight loss
- Muscle weakness
- Warm moist skin
- Hair loss
- Staring gaze
Assessment for Hyperthyroidism
1. Health Perceptions
Knowledge of the disease and the side effects of drugs.
2. Metabolic Nutrition
Changes in food intake, such as appetite and increases food intake, body weight decreased.
Changes in fecal elimination, increased frequency of bowel movements or many times. Every meal tend to defecate, urine in large quantities.
4. Activity and Exercise
Experiencing chest pain / angina, tachycardia despite the break, dysrhythmias, and murmur, dyspnea experienced during the activity / rest muscle weakness, severe accidents, muscle atrophy.
5. Rest and Sleep
6. Cognitive Sensory
Complained of impaired vision rapid eye fatigue, blurred vision, orbital pain, exophthalmos.
7. Coping Mechanisms
Emotional instability, experiencing severe stress both emotional and physical, psychological conditions.
8. Sexual Relations
Decreased libido, hipomenorea, amenorrhoea and impotence.
Less confident because of physical changes such as the eye.
Nursing Diagnosis for Hyperthyroidism
- Decreased Cardiac Output
- Disturbed Thought Processes
- Imbalanced Nutrition
- Impaired Tissue Integrity
- Knowledge Deficit