There are many different reasons why you may experience tonsillitis such as glandular fever and viral infections. The swelling that you usually experience is often caused by a viral or bacterial infection and treatment should be started as soon as possible.
You may experience symptoms such as:
- An ear ache
- Headache or migraine
- Stomach ache
- Overall pain in the body
- Bad breath
- Swollen tonsils
It is quite often that you will see the tonsils to be quite swollen and red, which is caused by inflammation and this is one of the most popular symptoms of tonsillitis in adults today. A good sign to know if you have tonsillitis is:
Gray or yellow coating may cover your tonsils
- The areas around the throat and mouth may become red and sore
- You may get swelling around the neck, especially where your lymph nodes are located
- Vomiting or abdominal pain
- You may experience a fever
- Salt and Water - It is the most common home remedy for tonsillitis to gargle with salt added to warm water.
- Vegetable juices - The juices of vegetables like carrot, cucumber and beet is indeed the most effective home based remedy for treating tonsillitis. You may consume these juices separately or as a mixture.
- Mustard - It is often suggested to rinse your throat with solution prepared by mixing powdered mustard in hot water. This helps in cleaning the germs causing this problem from the throat.
- Lemon and honey - The mixture of lime juice with honey prepared in hot water is another great remedy for relieving throat from pain and infection. You may also add a pinch of salt in the mixture.
- Fenugreek seeds - The fenugreek seeds should be allowed to boil with water and the resulting mixture must be used as a gargle to get relief from this problem. However, you must allow the mixture to cool down before using it.
- Milk - The pure boiled milk is another recommended home remedy for treating tonsil infections. It is also advised to add turmeric powder and pepper powder in the milk before consuming it.
- Banafsha Flowers - You may boil 12g of banafsha flowers with milk and filter it out after boiling. The filtered milk must be drunk hot to relieve throat from tonsil infections. Also, you may use the flower extracts filtered out in above process and massage them gently around throat before going to bed.
- Turmeric - Because of anti-bacterial anti-viral properties exhibited by turmeric, it is advised to prepare a paste of turmeric roots in hot water and apply it externally around the throat.
- Dried Figs - Dried and boiled figs are quite effective in reducing the pain and harshness caused due to tonsillitis. You must mash these figs and consume them with a spoon of honey.
- Onion and Ginger - Onion juice and ginger juice are considered as best home remedies for various problems and tonsillitis is one of them. You may use these juices for gargling and reducing the pain in throat.